I can't believe how fast this year has gone. It seems like just a couple months ago I was stressing over starting school and curriculum planning and managing a group of such diverse students. I had observed in self-contained classrooms before and was an aide in that exact room for a semester, so I was more prepared for what I was getting into than many new special education teachers. I knew it'd be tough. There are a lot of different issues in a class like mine: behaviors you don't see in a general education classroom, personal care issues, plus finding a way to teach kids on many different levels all in one classroom. I knew about that stuff...but there were still things I had to deal with that I never anticipated. Some were very emotionally difficult to handle. But I absolutely love my job. Some days are rough, but I can honestly say I love every one of my students, and they are absolutely my favorite part of my job. I get a little frustrated when I hear things like, "I don't know how you do it" or "you have to be a special person to work with those kids." I know those are meant as compliments, but it frustrates me because my kids are the easy part of my job without a doubt. A lot of people assume I'm doing this job to transition into something else in the district, but I love where I am and what I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment